Adventures In Learning is a program designed to enrich the lives and learning of older adults. Based on the national Shepherd’s Center learning model, our local AIL is a key program for seniors seeking new ideas, perspectives, subjects they want to learn, and or skills they’d like to develop. The programs are designed for seniors by a committee comprised of senior participants. Subjects and instructors will vary with each semester, but the quality and content are highly rated by our participants.
FALL SESSION begins 9/28…
Bring a Friend to the first day of classes. They are your guest! (only need to pay for lunch if they’d like to eat with us).
A Few Basic Facts About AIL:
- There are three semesters/sessions each year during the Winter, Spring and Fall
- Each session meets for 6 consecutive Thursdays, 9:30 am – 2:30 pm.
- The day has 3 class periods so you select your topics; there is an inspirational moment at lunchtime plus a special presentation we call “the Forum” (community leader or unique topical speaker or performance).
- Each semester, there are 15-20 classes to choose from when you register for the semester fee of just $40.
- Lunch is available for $8 or participants may bring their own lunch.
- All instructors are volunteers, sharing their time and knowledge with us. Many are retired professors, community professionals, or experienced crafts people.
- Our Winter session is held at Christ United Methodist Church (410 N. Holden Rd.) and the Spring and Fall sessions are held at First Baptist Church (1000 W. Friendly Avenue)
- There is time for fellowship and we welcome you to meet other active seniors who enjoy learning.
- When was the last time you studied Ancient Rome, Women in Antiquity, Bird Watching, Contemporary Art, or Today’s India? Have you thought of exploring the craft of woodcarving, quilting, writing poetry, or playing mah jongg? Or are you interested in singing, line dancing or just laughing?
We invite you to visit one of our sessions or just jump in and register for a future semester. It’s an experience that keeps many people returning year-after-year.